CRANBURY, N.J.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–The American Journal of Managed Care® (AJMC®), the leading multimedia peer-reviewed journal dedicated to issues in managed care, presents its most recent “Peer Exchange” panel discussion, “Managing Challenges of Insomnia in Elderly Patients.” The video series will present an overview of insomnia, specifically in elderly patients, highlighting a variety of treatment options and strategies for the management of the sleep disorder.
“The inconsistent sleep often associated with insomnia can cause agitation and depression in elderly patients,” said Michael J. Hennessy Jr., president of MJH Life Sciences™, parent company of AJMC®. “Our panel of experts, led by Dr. Peter L. Salgo, will discuss some safe and effective treatment options for elderly patients who experience insomnia.”
This AJMC® “Peer Exchange” panel features five distinguished experts:
- Peter L. Salgo, M.D., professor of medicine and anesthesiology at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and associate director of surgical intensive care at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, as moderator.
- Sanford H. Auerbach, M.D., director of the Sleep Disorders Center and the Sleep Medicine Fellowship Training Program; associate professor of neurology, psychiatry and behavioral neurosciences; Boston University School of Medicine.
- Nicole Brandt, M.D., Pharm.D., MBA, BCPP, BCGP, FASCP, executive director of the Peter Lamy Center on Drug Therapy and Aging, professor of pharmacy practice and science, University of Maryland, Baltimore School of Pharmacy.
- Karl Doghramji, M.D., medical director of the Jefferson Sleep Disorders Center and program director of the sleep medicine fellowship, Thomas Jefferson University.
- Gary L. Johnson, M.D., M.S., MBA, medical director, Managed Care Consultants.
The “Peer Exchange” will delve into insomnia, defining the typical causes of the condition in elderly patients. Furthermore, the expert panel will discuss the neurological conditions that often lead to an increased risk of insomnia in elderly people. It will also cover treatment options for insomnia as outlined by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine guidelines, including cognitive behavioral therapy, over-the-counter medicines and prescription treatment options. Challenges in the management of insomnia in elderly patients, particularly those with neurological conditions such as Parkinson’s disease or Alzheimer’s disease, will also be discussed.
For more information and to view the video series, click here.
About The American Journal of Managed Care®
The American Journal of Managed Care® (AJMC®) is a multimedia peer-reviewed, MEDLINE-indexed journal that keeps industry leaders on the forefront of health policy by sharing digital research relevant to industry decision-makers. Other brands in the AJMC® family include The American Journal of Accountable Care®, Evidence-Based Oncology™ and Evidence-Based Diabetes Management™. These comprehensive multimedia brands bring together stakeholder views from payers, providers, policymakers and other industry leaders in managed care. AJMC® is a brand of MJH Life Sciences™, the largest privately held, independent, full-service medical media company in the U.S. dedicated to delivering trusted health care news across multiple channels.